Sunday 28 September 2014

Absinthe

The end of the XIXth Century and the beginning of the XXth Century have been marked in Paris by the rising of a highly dangerous alcoholic drink : Absinthe was a very fashionable drink with a great popularity among Parisian artists and writers. The green coloured spirit, often referred to as "the green fairy " was The Must of the time. I had to have one Absinthe set in my Art Nouveau House.

" Traditionally, absinthe is prepared by placing a sugar cube on top of a specially designed slotted spoon, and placing the spoon on a glass filled with a measure of absinthe. Iced water is poured or dripped over the sugar cube to slowly and evenly distribute the water into the absinthe. "
                                                                                                                 says Wikipedia


 
Here is my tray with the bottle, glasses, spoons, sugar and absinthe.
 It is when I took a final look at the picture that I suddenly realized that I had forgotten...the water !






For the veneered tray, I used a very popular Art Nouveau design with iris by Gallé. The varnish is way too glossy. I will change this for a matt finish. To be honest I saw a better veneered tray on Josje blog, A Beautiful World. I still have to improve my skills!





8 comments:

  1. I love your Absinthe tray.
    I watch a movie called From Hell with Johnny Depp where he drank Absinthe (smoked opium Victorian dens). Interesting movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great addition this little set is. It's beautifully put together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tray especially the little sugar cube on the suspended spoons, is charming! I know nothing about the drink other than that the color is unique, but why is it called "highly dangerous?"

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,
      Absinthe was a psychoactive drug, very addictive. It is said that some turned mad after using it. Absinthe has been banned in many countries, by 1915-20. Now it's back, but under a different form.

      Delete
  4. What a nice pictures.I love the tray with the absithe.You did a nice job with your tray.looking at others for inspiration is so nice but never underestimate your work that you do yourself.You did a very nice job.Your blog is beautiful and you maken beautiful things.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your tray looks Marvelous! Inlay work that small is Amazing!!! Your absinthe looks great too! (I guess they set it down and went back for the water.....?)
    I love the items you make... your house is so Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You tray is adorable, Dominique! And your "mise en scène" perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete